October 15, 2011

Leaving home


Driving with mum in the car on the way to the airport, so many thoughts were racing through my mind.

It will be a year before I'm driving in the car with mum again.

This will be the last time I drive past the local primary school, petrol station, train station, supermarket and everything that is now a part of me.

Goodbye beach, I'll miss you.

The car was silent. I was lost in thought, and I think mum was too. Or she wasn't trying to think about me leaving too much, one or the other.

After a coffee and a good chat at the airport, it was time to go. I'll miss these mum chats, I thought.

All the flights went smoothly and on schedule, which was a dream. There were hardly any people on the flight from Sydney to Hong Kong, so I got to lie down along a row of chairs (bonus!). We even arrived in London ahead of schedule.

Travelling on the Piccadilly line to my hostel, I couldn't believe it. I'm in LONDON. On my own. All that's going to get me around is me, my legs and my brain. I am free.

No comments: